I’m a dabbler and rarely a master, but I have my moments. We all do.
I have been a banker, a bookstore owner, and a broker. I have succeeded and failed at many things. I have been broke-as-a-joke and happily sustained. I have been told repeatedly that it’s impossible to be more than one thing, and yet I keep trying and more importantly, I keep learning.
There is so much to know and more to create. We are beings with the capability to love and that is a very special thing.
Play it, write it, paint it, and share it. We really can do, anything.
When I was younger I was adamantly aware of the fact that the witch next door would often shape-shift and appear as her tabby cat to spy on us kids. I knew without a doubt that the ghost of an old soldier lived in my house on Van Houten street, and that aliens were absolutely watching us ALL OF THE TIME. I’d like to say that much has changed, but it has not. The deer who frequents my yard has been missing for a couple of days now and I’m almost confident that Bigfoot is behind it. I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, take in the fact that over 50% of Americans believe in ghosts and hang a horseshoe on your door (upside down of course).
I’ve taken the Myers-Briggs Personality test a number of times for work and school over the years and without fail, the results are always the same. I am an INFJ through and through. Basically I’m an introvert with “a rich and vivid inner-life” who often gets mistaken for an extrovert and prefers to communicate on the page. These things are all true. I do like the quiet and I revel in solitude.Taking in these unchanged results over the years has provided me with a sense of foundation, a self-sustained ground to stand on. I’m sharing this now with the hope that it might do the same for you.
Step 1: Click here to take a min-version of the MBPT
Step 2: What’s your version of hell? Some of these are really funny and spot-on.
Step 3: What do you do at a party? Creepily accurate, I got “Reluctantly holds a counseling session in the bathroom with some drunk girl they don’t know.”
Be curious about who you are and once you find out, do it on purpose! Oh, and don’t forget to share it.
Congratulations, you made it through September. You are a super sleuth.
I hope this finds you in an investigative mood, here are 9 clues of the goodness recovered in September:
- Googly Eyed Goodness: A store in Kuwait was shut down for putting googly eyes on their fish in order to make them appear fresh. Man oh man googly eyes, you really do make everything better. Show it to me
- Word Up: Merriam-Webster has added over 800 new words to the dictionary. It’s worth a look-see. Hangry, food bank and tent city are just a few additions that reflect our current state of affairs. Words matter. Click to read
- I spot a seashell on the seashore: Gastropads, chitons and periwinkles, oh my! This useful gem of a read is a guide to decoding the seashells you find on the seashore. It’s pretty neat. Learn More
- The living Tree: Beth Moon is a photographer on a mission to capture the world’s oldest trees. From the dragon blood trees in Yemen to the ancient bristlecone pines of California, her work is a stunning gift. Take a look
- Foodie Goodness: This interactive map will take you on a delicious road trip through America, one meal at a time. Take me there
- Remember reading books? That was pretty awesome: Awesome People Reading is pretty awesome. Tumble through the archive but start with Burt Reynolds.
- When is it smart to start ignoring what other people think of you? Now, right now: Why you should stop caring about what other people think is a detailed and thorough guide to taming and defeating self doubt and your inner mammoth.
Take a look
- Because Animals are HILARIOUS: The Comedy Wildlife Awards are a real thing. Thank goodness. Take me there
- This Guy wins September: A self-proclaimed “rock hound” in Michigan has discovered a new kind of rock that GLOWS! He got to name it. Guess what he named it. You’ll never guess. Yoopelites, he named it Yoopelites. Show Me
Only Good Things is a weekly investigation. Each week, I seek out clues of the good in our every day. I report my findings on Fridays.
Click here to subscribe and study the archive.
- The RFK Tapes Take a deep dive and listen to original police tapes, interviews, and rare audio recordings as the team from Crimetown investigates the death of Robert F Kennedy. Fans of archival footage, this is a goodie.
- Fresh Air An oldie but a goodie. Bill Murray telling tales to Terry Gross.
- What’s Her Name Thought-provoking stories of women making history throughout history is always worth a listen.
- Serial is back for it’s third season and it’s taking on the American Criminal Justice System in Cleveland, OH. You know what this means right? Missed calls, it means a lot of missed calls. Can’t wait.
- Inside Jaws
Stephen King’s son is quite the writer and he’s really into Jaws. This podcast is a love letter to his favorite movie (OF ALL TIME). If you think you’ve seen Jaws, think again.
- Up and Vanished is back for a second season. We are three episodes in and it’s a doozy. Grab your detective caps and take on the case.
- The Witches is available for your audible delight, chapter by chapter. It’s free.
- Dalai Lama Audio Teachings We could all use a bit of wisdom from the Dalai Lama. If someone tells you otherwise, get them a hose because their pants are on fire. (Dork-Style Sick Burn)
- The Truth takes you in and out of fictions for 10-20 minutes at a time. Actors voice the characters and bring these original short stories to life.
Congratulations, you made it through THE SUMMER! Well almost. Good on ya!
I hope this finds you in an investigative mood. Here are some clues of the GOOD recovered in August:
1.The ocean, OH MY STARS, the ocean! Check out these magnificent waves, captured in a decade of photographs. Click to Read.
2.We all love a good list. 25 Secrets of Adulthood learned the Hard Way is a good list. Bonus: Gretchen Rubin wrote it, it’s her list. Click to Read.
3.The top bestest 100 TV Episodes of the century you say? Challenge accepted, I say. This is REALLY cool, you can choose to listen, watch, and read along with this comprehensive list. Click to Read.
4.Birds teaching other Birds, cool!
Click to Read.
Birds talking to other Birds, rad!
Click to Read.
This little Guy is sweet!
Click to Read.
5.”62 Years After It Was Written, a Hemingway Story Gets Published for the First Time” This is pretty exciting. Click to Read.
6. Saved from July, but still sweet and entirely appropriate. How are you handling the news? Click to Read.
7.This list of the 25 amazing speeches is worth a click-through. Some of them have flown under the radar. You are in for a treat if you like a good speech. Click to Read
8. Tackle the tough questions if you’re ready to make a change. Here are 12 questions to ask yourself. It’s a challenge, in a good way. Click to Read
9. What to do when someone asks if you’ve ever read Vonnegut
Oh McSweeney’s, I’d give you my heart if you didn’t already have it. Click to Read
10.The Crow Box is a vending machine for birds. They fly in, drop a coin and the snacks come out. Pretty flippin cool. Best part, you can build your own with the free instructions. I know what I’m doing this weekend. Click to Read.
11. Medicinal Revival
The unicorn root has been absent for 130 years and it has reappeared in Maine!!!! Click to Read
12. Poetry is not DEAD! So please, stop saying it is. “The number of self-reported poetry readers in the United States nearly doubled from 2012 to 2017…” Click to Read